Friday, December 6, 2013

The Curious Case of the Commissioned Cthulhu

I'm an idiot.

A while ago I stumbled across a commissioned illustration that featured an Indiana Jones-style adventurer.  Behind him was a Mayan temple, and in his hands was this idol I did back in 2008:


Unfortunately, I was on my phone and didn't save the address.  Now I can't remember where I found it.  Would anyone happen to have a pointer toward it?  If not, I'm pretty sure both the artist and patron are readers, and I'm hoping they'll see this.

Just to be clear, I loved the illustration and was inordinately pleased it used an image of the idol.  I'm a huge supporter of sharing things so they can be reused and remixed, hence the Creative Commons license for everything here.  The illustration is a perfect example of taking something that was pretty cool and turning it into something awesome.

7 comments:

CoastConFan said...

I like your staff piece quite a bit. Somehow I missed it the first time around. The embedded iron idea is pretty good but consider putting in a powerful magnet into one of your idols if you really want some magnetic action. Another idea is to put an electromagnet into the base of a larger figure and then you can cut on the current at the right time for effect. Eyes that light up would be nice too as long as you are playing around with electricity.

A friend of mine did a ceramic staff piece back in 2010: http://mwmosespottery.blogspot.com/2010/12/still-life-at-soltice-new-michael-w.html

Propnomicon said...

@ CoastConFan

That's a beautiful piece.

I had to use a piece of steel hardware because it was inserted before the clay was baked, which would have killed a magnet.

Barry John said...

The stone affect on this is amazing! Is it polymer clay? The design is fantastic too.

Propnomicon said...

@ Barry John

Thank you for the kind words. It's polymer clay with a three tone acrylic paint job.

Unknown said...

Your idol looks amazing, and the paint job is perfect. So perfect that I found it on someone's Pinterest board of American Indian Fetishes, listed as simply "Jade fetish". I know you didn't create this to be a gaff per se, but congrats all the same.

Joshua-Mozes said...

I found the picture you mentioned on DeviantArt

http://martinschlierkamp.deviantart.com/art/Adventure-Tales-3-Cover-380178388

Artist's name is Martin Schlierkamp

hope this helps you

Joshua-Mozes

btw Your site is Great!

Propnomicon said...

@ Joshua-Mozes

You. Are. Awesome.