Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Glow

First, I want to apologize for this video.

I saw a GIF of this sword set from Monster Hunter on Reddit yesterday and was blown away by the lighting effect.  What makes it notable is that the internal illumination shines through a painted surface, something I've never seen done effectively in any kind of prop.

After some Googling I found the build video for the swords from Kamui Cosplay.  On the bright side, no pun intended, it includes a very detailed look at how the effect was achieved using LED light strips and translucent EVA foam.  That said, there's a whole lot of cheese to slog through to get there.  I have nothing but the highest respect for KC's incredible craftsmanship, but the forced cuteness of the opening minutes is a bit much. 

2 comments:

De Profundis said...

It is a bit... Extra isn't it?

Galindorf said...

yeah I love the skill and talent of KamuiCosplay but I watch every video on mute and at 2x speed lol... The detailed walkthroughs are amazing and very inspiring! But so... much... I skip through...